Sunday, July 20, 2014

Godzilla (2014) Rant

        So I have a Cinemark theater in my town that shows movies a couple months (sometimes a few weeks) after their initial release for a $1. Because of this, I usually wait to see movies I feel are “dollar movie” worthy. Today, I finally watched Godzilla and I must say, it was definitely worth that dollar, but not more than that. I hated how it wasn’t a Godzilla movie. It’s a movie about a soldier whose main purpose is to make sure a nuclear bomb is launched on time…that’s it…with cameo appearances by Godzilla fighting these monsters…BRYAN CRANSTON WASN’T EVEN THE MAIN CHARACTER LIKE THEY MADE HIM APPEAR TO BE IN THE TRAILERS!!!!! He was in it for like a total of 15 minutes! Yet, even he had more screen-time than Godzilla! It just irked me beyond belief.
The few moments we had with Godzilla were great because by then, you’re practically falling asleep! Before the “fight” in San Francisco, I was yawning every minute which is attributed to Aaron Taylor Johnson’s character. He was boring and didn’t really do much to help the plot. I’m sorry, but Aaron Taylor Johnson could not carry this film. I know many like the guy. That’s cool. I, however, can not stand him when he’s on screen. I hated every time he talked during Kick-Ass, which is probably when I began my dislike of the guy. The run-time didn’t help either. It’s too long for a movie that is supposed to be about giant monsters duking it out.
The few moments we had with the King of Monsters was great. It’s tough to say that the fights were great since not much was shown. Every time he (or she? Wasn’t really established in the film so don’t know if it’s a continuation of classic Godzilla lore) roared, it made you feel how fearsome and powerful this beast is. My favorite moment has to be the final scene where Godzilla ***SPOILER*** finally takes out the female Muto with his blue flames of awesomeness ***END OF SPOILER***.
I'm sorry, but there were a few more cons I'd like to address. Ken Watanabe's character was useless. I love the guy, but they seriously mishandled his character. He literally did nothing the entire film. They never explained why he was even brought into the Janjira nuclear power plant. He never said anything. Even when the US Navy (if it's not the Navy, I forgot who it was) took over control of the monster situation, every time they showed him, he looked like a scared puppy the entire time who didn't know what to say besides "Let them fight". It bothered me how badly the script was written especially for a film that's 2 hours long. Also, I don't think radiation just magically disappears after 15 years. They really glared over that. Yes, you can assume that the Muto spore absorbed all the radiation, but I'm pretty sure there had to be some residue of it left, like Cranston's picture for example. I'm not an expert, but that's just what I assume. Also, when did the dang monster couple mate?! They mention that the male that just hatched is echoing a mating call, yet a day later, you see that the female in Nevada is pregnant...that doesn't make any sense. She's supposed to be the second Muto spore, but they ignore the fact that one of the spores from the beginning hatched and made its way into the sea. But during the movie, they make it seem like that's the female Muto that was in Nevada and ugh! I'm done. 

All in all, this movie is a C-. I knew what to expect coming into this, but that didn’t help at all. The movie makes you think otherwise such that it manipulates the idea that Godzilla or another monster is going to appear because of certain events, but it’s all a lie. Probably until halfway do you even see your first monster. Main cons were that it’s too long, Aaron Taylor Johnson, a couple plot holes and inconsistencies, and the big one…NOT ENOUGH GODZILLA!!!!!!! Sorry for this huge rant. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment